Friday, January 29, 2010

Going on a Opah hunt

Today I woke up early to check out the "Hawaii Auction Block". Met up with Brooks Takenaka (right) and his crew at the United Fishing Agency on pier 38. If you haven't been here before you gotta check it out. Nobu-san, Guy Tamashiro, and all the big seafood stores buyers come here for the fresh catch of the day.
Ahi was the call and there were over 25,000 pounds of fish today from five boats.
I was in pursuit of Opah or moon fish for today. I've never seen these diving before so I thought I get some for the party.
Also picked up some nice "Big Eye" tuna which looked so ono. I wish I had a bowl of rice, wasabi, shoyu, and miso soup.

This fish has 30 percent yield so if you get a chance to eat it, chew slowly and enjoy! Thanks to Brooks, Nelson, and the boys for helping me get fish. Their website is www.hawaii-seafood.org. And I didn't even have to get into my wetsuit.

No comments: