Monday, July 30, 2018

Dangerous Catch!

Been seeing some huge battleships out on the ocean lately.  I checked online and seems like they will complete their exercises Aug. 2nd.  Helicopters, boats, security all in place.

My friend Kui wanted to fish with me so we headed out to see if we could find dinner.  Kui is a truck driver and once worked on the fishing boats like on the show Deadliest catch.  4 days no sleeping and working hard was his lifestyle!  So we flew out 40 miles and set my lines on the honey hole.  Let the new players take first string and in 40 minutes we were on!  As we pulled it in and got to leader, Kui gaffed the fish and the fish went crazy pulling him overboard!  The line wrapped around his leg/boots and he was upside down next to the fish.  His boots filled with water and he began to sink. I held on to the fish as he slowly made his way to the motors to get back up.  After what seemed like 10 minutes he got back up, exhausted and we lifted the fish into the boat.

Even with all his years of fishing this was a first.  Fishing is fun but can be very dangerous if you are not experienced.  After we took care of the fish and I had to fix my motor way out at sea, lucky for 2 motors and a good mechanic friend I called with poor reception I was able to fish again.  I turned back out and reset my lines and 15 minutes later BAM!  This time my 130 Shimano reel breaks down and won't crack.  Whaat! We end up hand lining the fish in and last 100 yards put the line in a bucket because the reel was full.  Kui was beat after no. 2 ahi so I pulled in my lures and headed in early!


Definitely an action packed day with some nice 20 plus Otarus in the mix.  Mahalos to my crew for another fun but dangerous day!

No comments: