Sunday, June 30, 2013

Strike #1

What a beautiful weekend in Hawaii nei?  I passed by the pier and saw lots of boats so got motivated to go for a ride on the Red Sea boat this weekend.  Everyone is always excited to go fishing and they all can't sleep the night before.  

I had a few hours of sleep after making new lures and was looking forward to testing it out.  It's like getting a new surfboard and hoping it will be the magic board.  I'm learning that fishing is very similar.  I don't know much about fishing but learning and want to try to hook the big one.  I call up a few friends and find out how far to set my lines, what to use, how to mark my lines.  I rig up our new Ahi set up and we go for a ride.   We let out the lines, look the birds and no bites until...

After lunch while everyone is relaxing with no birds my port outrigger pole starts screaming!  Strike #1..Everyone is shaken up looking at each other as the line peels out for what seemed like under 10 seconds then it stops.  I knew it was an Ahi and wondered did it shake the hook?  We pull in the line and to our amazement it snapped the line.  It was such a rush for everyone and to see it live was awesome but unfortunately it's another weekend fishing tale to tell with no fish in the boat this time.  I'm very optimistic with our first Ahi strike and waiting for strike #2.  I feel good that our next trip out will be the one!  I'm going to re-rig my same set up with heavier line so we don't strike out.  Stay tuned!

No comments: