Tuesday, August 30, 2011

NWHI Day 2

Well after 24 hour boat ride we finally arrived at Nihoa. I had a great sleep and felt good to be on a boat again. The day was spent going over safety drills and practicing launching the boats. These guys got it together and safety is the utmost importance. We store our dive gear here in these lockers and everyday we must wear our hard hats and life jackets.
I have my own corner in the lab where I can get my camera gear together and get things ready to film. Everyone has the top of the line gear from slr cameras to lights to all kinds of video equipment.
John and Rob got some great footage on our first dive this afternoon and even documented a dozen new species found. These guys are great scientist and know every fish in the book by their scientific name.

Our day ended with this amazing sunset and what a way to close the day. We did our drills, did a 30 minute dive, and tomorrow have a full day at french frigate shoals. I can't wait:)

No comments: