Friday, January 24, 2014

SB 2125

Have you heard the news that local niihau residents want to close off fishing within 2 miles of shore around the island?  That means no more trips to Niihau if the law passes.  They feel their reefs are being depleted and concerned for their resources.  The bill SB 2125 is in motion and if people don't speak up it will slide under the table and become law.

I have been there many times and our divers seem very selective in their spearing on the reef.  Here Layne Tsuchiguchi got this prized uku.

Not to often you can get a nice mu like Kris Tyler that is not spooked.  So after I finished my work I decided to call my local state representatives to express my opinions and concerns about passing this bill SB2125.  I called representative Jill Tokuda, Cynthia Thielen, and Ken Ito and the only one who called me back with some positive feedback was Ken Ito.  What's the difference if they close Niihau vs Molokai vs any beachfront property?  I told him I'm all for bag limits and sizes, but the key is how to enforce the law. Well this is election year and many politicians want a job so make a difference and call your state representatives to express your concerns on SB2125.  Find your Representative by Clicking Here. After this I had to cool off so went for a surf on the eastside to grab a few barrels.

No comments: