Sunday, May 24, 2009

East Meets West

What can I say, but another beautiful day in Hawaii Nei...Seems like it's been the same for the past month already but who cares no one is complaining.  Kris Tyler from Westside Dive and Tackle called me to go dive so we headed out to one of my Eastside spots to target some Opelu Kala.  The water was so glassy we could have drove to Ni'ihau.  Got a few in the cooler and moved to another spot that holds onos.  The next thing I see Kris dive bombing on this passing ono.  It veers off so I toss my flasher and it see it!  Keeping right on top on the descending flasher I follow it down to about 40 ft. then as the ono comes in range, BAM!%*# right in the kisser! 

Not a stone shot, Kris signals to second shot it so I say ok, just to make sure we land it.  As he descends down, lining up on the fish he is just about to pull the trigger when I see a second ono coming in to investigate.  From the surface, I start yelling through my snorkel and like a dentist understanding his gargling patient, Kris looks up at me from below.  I point to the oncoming fish and he does a 180 turn and takes the shot!  KA-BOOM@*@!  Yeah, I yell!  Our boat crew, Alan and Cat also start cheering and the rest was history!  

No comments: