Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Go Dive with Go-Naminori



What a beautiful day in Hawaii nei!  The variable winds began today and no surf so you know what that means!  Go Dive!  This time with Go-Naminori.com!  I got the invitation from Kirby Fukunaga and his brother for a dive that I could not pass up.  After several dives we had a mix bag of goatfish, omilu, uhus, rois, menpachi, aholehole, and then some.  I had a handful of chum which I began unloading at the drop and within 5 minutes, 30-40 kawakawas came swimming by.  The school circled the chum a few times while a few hungry fish stopped for a bite.  I couldn't believe all these pelagics so close to shore as I usually see this type of fish at the buoys.  "Tunas! Get more chum!" I yelled.  After a couple of drops trying to line up of this fast moving fish, I took a shot with my 100cm Riffe euro gun and the fish began to spool my reel.  I gingerly brought it up wondering if the shot was good.  Luckily it held and we got it in the boat after we got a few pics first!  It weighed in at 18.2 lbs.  I think it is a new Hawaii Skin Diver Spearfishing Record, more importantly we got some sashimi for dinner:)

1 comment:

Erick said...

Nice Kawakawa. I heard it was a record. Great! It's official, now you're in da books.

Keep diving and be safe,
Erick