Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Mentawai 2011 - Pics Part 2

One of the places I really wanted to visit was the Macaronies Resort as this is where the 3 meter tsunami hit Oct, 2010. I saw this place when they were just about to open and there were bungalows all along this lagoon. Now nothing and they are still not open. I got to talk with a local who was there when the tsunami hit killing about 24 people.
The Naga Laut has a great crew and awesome cook, "Boi" who every day provides us onolicious meals. In fact most of the guys thought they gained weight after the trip.
I did some diving to catch the pupus along with my partner Al Ah Nee, who speared his first fish with his new Riffe speargun. We got enough fish for our pupu hour each day. This little doggie came by my window.
Also got a grouper for the crew to eat which they were happy. But surfing was on each day and for me I enjoyed the opportunity to finally surf good Rifles.

This wave is as long as catching a wave from Holtons through inside Laniakea with several barrel sections along the way. It is very fast and hollow and if you are lucky you can score your longest barrel ever. We got three sessions out here and I had lots of fun.

No comments: