Sunday, February 20, 2011

Kole Hunt

Today was one of those days that even our meterologist could not predict. I debated where to dive for hours then made the call to stay nearshore. Then I as went to sleep last night the rains came down hard for hours and the water was sure to be dirty. Well we made it out bright and early. Kirby Fukunaga and Keith Yamane joined me for day of diving. The morning inside the bay was sheet glass but outside was a totally different story. 10-20 mph onshore slop!
Our first drops were slow on the pelagics but this curious Kahala came in for a bite on our palu and Keith put a good shot into it. It weighed in over 20 lbs. We worked the ono ledge for a while then decided to head in for some reef action.
Kirby wanted to test out his new guns for our upcoming trip and put a few on his stringer for tonights dinner. We were lucky to find some clean water and get some fish.
My agenda was to target "kole". I had the onos for small kine fry fish and pulled my 3 prong and t-bar and went old school diving while the boys played with their spearguns. A nice menpachi was hiding in a hole and luckily stayed there for me to spear.

After lunch we decided to head in and call it day as we had enough for our family and friends! Well gotta run and clean fish now so everyone have a safe and enjoyable presidents day holiday!

No comments: