Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Last Chance Mahi

Woke up 4:30 am today and did my routine weather check. Winds would be light so got my dive gear ready and headed west to get my dinner for this week. Joining todays expedition was Captain James Oshiro and Blue Water Hunter Travis Masutani. Before we left the harbor travis was suited up and ready for action. We had some chum so we worked the ledge, then another, and before you know it we had 2 pieces of chum left. This was our last chance so Travis sparingly pulled pieces of chum apart as bait fish came by. Then in the corner of my eye, I spotted a Mahi Mahi. It came and ate one of the pieces of chum and as he went for the second piece I got on top of him and gave him the dive bomb technique hoping he wouldn't see me. My shaft penetrated his head from the top down but...
it wasn't a stone shot so my partner Travis lined up his 120 cm Euro and gave him the kill shot. So we called it our "Last Chance Mahi". Our first one this year so we were all stoked.
We did a few more drops for some of our favorite fishes for sashimi and before we knew it, it was time to go!

It's a long drive to the west side but glad we were able to get a few fish for the week.

No comments: