Sunday, June 27, 2010

Ono-licous

Hope everyone has been getting their share of waves this past week on the south shore. If not you didn't miss anything. It's not very often I get up before the sunrise but if I know the winds will be slowing down and the waves are small then get I motivated to dive.
Keith Yamane joined me today along with Captain "Cat" behind the wheel on board the Red Sea Boat for a quick jump in to check my favorite spots. We needed a few uhus for some friends and of course couldn't help but plug a few opelu kalas for sashimi. After we got a couple we headed to the ono grounds and did a little chumming/burley/palu/puke-ing. Water was little dirty so I dropped down to investigate this huge 10# rainbow runner eating away on the bottom 100 ft. below, then out of nowhere this ono (wahoo) shows up out of the blue. I quickly turn my 120 cm. railgun on him and take a shot. My reel jams and I'm running out of air so instead of letting go, I "horse" the fish up hoping not to black out while making hand signals to my partner Keith to give him the back up shot.
Keith drops down as the ono does a dance squirming left to right trying to shake off the single flopper barb. But cracker jack Keith nails him good and we were ready to go in by noon.
The ono weighed in just under 30# and everyone was happy and ready to go home!

Since it was so hot we had to cool off and eat some ono-licous "shave ice" topped with condensed milk and loaded with ice cream. Another awesome day in Hawaii..I'm sleeping good tonight...zzz

No comments: