Friday, October 2, 2009

First Ulua

In Hawaii, one of the big reef game prized fish is the giant trevally "Ulua" and yesterday my friend Erick Itoman got to spear his first Ulua (45#). This was his 2nd dive in a long time time (3 years) and we found a nice cave and to our surprise this fish was just sitting there with no where to go but on the boat. Erick got a good shot and I gave him a back up shot just in case and the rest was history. It was a very special day for me to be there to witness the event. We brought it home and made a print and tonight his family will be eating sashimi.

Our friends from Tahiti were in town so we were able to meet up for this dive. The prized catch for tahitans is the "Ume" or what we call the "Kala" surgeon fish. I even shot a flounder which I am looking forward to eating tonight. Have a safe trip back home to Tahiti today and will dive again together.

No comments: