Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Mu Pile

Northwinds arrived on schedule and surf was small so you know what that meant...Go Dive! Conditions were nice and since I had to test my new 5-mil wetsuit, today was the perfect day.
Kirby invited me to join him on a quick "kau kau" dive of the southside so off we went.
We were greeted by a pod of dolphins (around 40+) so we jumped in and swam with them first. I was too buoyant with the wetsuit so had to adjust my belt doubling my weights. A good rule of thumb is to be neutral at 30 ft.
Kirby got some nice goats along with this prized "Kumu" which will feed his whole family. I was busy playing with a school of Mu and after a few hours...

Got me one for the steamer. These fish are the smartest fish of all the reef species. They have these big eyes (aka big eye emperor) and can see you from a mile away. There are a few tricks to bring them in close and today I found out another method that worked perfectly.

No comments: